The Faith Factor

Is faith a factor in your decision making?

Most of us don’t literally step into thin air like Indiana Jones did, but we exercise very real faith every day.  An interesting question to ask ourselves is, in what or whom have we placed our faith?

We believe that drivers approaching an intersecting red light will stop as we proceed through a green light.  We trust that our schools will adequately educate and protect our children for six to seven hours every day.  We have faith that medical professionals are qualified to safely perform invasive procedures on our bodies.  I could go on, but you get the idea.

Our actions demonstrate great faith in other people.

Do our lives testify to complete confidence in God?

Honestly, for most of my life I have not taken many risky steps of faith in God.  I depended on my parents, myself, my husband, my skills, the prosperous USA, my friends, and my job to name just a few of the idols in which I have trusted.  It feels so much safer to count on things that seem solid, quantifiable and controllable.  Until they’re not.

In more recent years God has placed me in circumstances in which I have no choice but to trust in Him.  Alone.  This is not a comfortable feeling for someone who likes to see exactly where her next step will land.  But I’m thankful for it.

Because God is teaching me to trust Him.

Trusting God is different from knowing about God.  Knowledge of God is important for a life of faith, for we won’t trust someone we don’t know.  But it is faith, not just correct doctrine, that God desires and honors.   And actions reveal the true objects of our faith.

Rahab was a Canaanite woman whose only knowledge of God was that he was powerful and that he had miraculously delivered Israel from Egypt.  She simply said, “I’m with Him.”  She risked her life as evidence of her complete faith, and God noticed.

Do we who have well-developed theology act with the decisive faith of Rahab?

The widow who donated her entire worth to the temple was commended by Jesus as having made the most valuable contribution.  She had acted in faith, while the others gave what they could easily afford to give.

Do we give what we cannot afford to give in confidence that God is our ultimate provider?

My faith has a long way to grow.

In our information and technological age we regularly make calculated decisions that serve our best interests.  Fine.  But, maybe we’ve left too little room for faith.  What if, after considering well-reasoned options, we learn to factor in faith.

Which choice best demonstrates faith in God?  Which choice would  reveal His power and bring glory to Him?

God always approves of faith.

Is faith in God a factor in your important decisions?

“We live by faith, not by sight.”  2 Cor. 5:7

Advertisements
Gallery | This entry was posted in Christian Life, Christian Witness, Faith, Jesus, Power of God, The Bible and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

24 Responses to The Faith Factor

1. Pingback: Time for Faith and Faith for Time | Connecting Dots…to God

2. Debbie says:

There have been times when I’ve been asked what I was going to do, and I’ve said what I believe, that God will make a way for us, and I’ve been met with rolling eyes and head shakes. haha! I can laugh now, here, but at the time, it always kind of shakes me that my faith in God is seen as something flimsy and unwise. Thank you, Judy, for helping us take those faith steps today!

I know that feeling, Debbie, that “am I crazy for believing that God means what he says?” feeling. Thank YOU for sharing your steps of faith. We have to encourage each other to keep on stepping:)

3. Pingback: Vocation, Value and Virtue: Three Ingredients of Meaningful Work | Connecting Dots…to God

4. You have been nominated for the Family Blog Award. You may pick it up at: http://chasingtheperfectmoment.com/awards/
    If you choose not to that’s okay. Just know you were thought of!

5. Amen! Powerful message, Judy. No matter what circumstance we face, may we all remember to always put our hope, faith, and trust in God!

6. Barb Conklin says:

Hi Judy, always love ready your post, they really make me think and learn. I have given my life to God, not in a fancy ceremony, but on a hill in Colorado many years ago. Sometimes it is so hard to trust in him, when such horrible things happen every day. I have always been conflicted by the saying “God only gives you as much as he thinks you can take.” I feel tested by that thought on most days. Sometimes I just want to scream, enough! Although, after you survive, I don’t know about anyone else, but I do feel stronger and that I have accomplished something. Thanks again Judy for your thoughts!!!

• Barb Conklin says:

In the first line it should be “reading.”

Hi Barb, I’ve never been a big fan of the phrase that you mentioned about Gid not giving us more than we can handle. I have a friend who suffered a painful loss, and she says that of course God gives us more than we can handle so that we will depend on Him. You are his precious child, Barb. He will never let you go. In faith, Judy

7. RoSy says:

I go back & for on all of this. But – in the end – faith is what keeps me going & what keeps me sane.

8. Larry Who says:

“But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.” (Hebrews 11:6)

Although there seems to be many who believe it’s okay to have doubts about God and His ways, I’m not one of them. I want to please Him and be rewarded for doing so. Thanks for encouraging us today on your HP Windows 7 computer. (Not from NSA info. I just clicked on your last post’s picture of your office.)

9. Caddo-Jael says:

As always, I liked your post, Judy. Trust seems to be a current theme, as I’ve been pondering/struggling/praying about it with Him too. Trust is a great adventure when things are going relatively smoothly (perhaps when all those things you mentioned are secure and reliable)–not so fun when we’re hanging onto a ledge. But much as my knee-jerk reaction to Nik Wallenda’s latest stunt was Negative, I’m wondering if I might learn to exercise some Wallenda (extreme) faith and trust in the God Who Can Do Anything…with precious little and imperfect resources. God bless you in amazing ways today, Judy–love, sis Caddo

Hi Caddo, “Wallenda Faith” sounds like a good title for a blog post:). Wish I’d thought of it! (Titles are a great challenge for me, but that’s another subject:). I too wonder what God could accomplish if we who know he can do anything had the faith to actually take him up on it. So I pray for more faith and the courage to act on it. And yet, he is faithful and continues to love and bless us. May you know both today!

10. mtsweat says:

My faith too has a great way to grow. Thankfully, we have a Father who insists on removing everything from our lives that allows trust in anything other than Him. These are excellent thoughts you give us today. Reading Stott’s Basic (again), it seems there are some necessary responses from us. As we ventured through chapters 9 and 10 yesterday evening, I was moved (again) by his illustration of Holman Hunt’s picture… “I stand at the door and knock.” I think His message to the churches (believers) of Revelation is becoming clearer to me by the day. The incentive to follow Christ is indeed a benefit for me… but my conversion should be equally a benefit for others, and much more so for Jesus. It is as Platt asks, “How much of what God has blessed you with is being used for His glory? Everything that is not… must go.” Blessings good friend.

“…my conversion should be equally a benefit for others…” Perhaps in our individualistic culture we too easily limit faith to its personal internal and eternal benefits without fully expressing it for the benefit of the world that sits in desperate need of evidence of a loving and powerful God. I have seen that tendency in my own life and in the church as a whole. Thanks for adding this thought to the discussion! And blessings back to you!

11. Susie Allison says:

I love that we have a faithful God, despite our lack of faith. It is amazing to look back over my life and review the ways that God protected me and made a good way for me; despite my blindness and despite my lack of consideration of Him.

12. Cara Olsen says:

Things have been somewhat tense in our household ever since our mother (my mother-n-law) brought home a puppy. While she was nothing but adorable for the first week — even her nips at our ankles and fingers — soon puppy-dog eyes were no match for the scratches, bruises, and bite marks trailing up and down our legs. I could not leave my room without being attacked and became a prisoner of her sleep-schedule. It sounds funny as I type it, but truly it has been tough to adjust to an aggressive puppy and our mother’s unwillingness to control her.
    My husband and I continue to work on building our finances, and very soon hope to purchase a place of our own; however the situation with the puppy took such a turn that we contemplated moving out impulsively. We were talking about this in the car one afternoon when he turned to me and asked, “Have you asked God? What is He telling you?” and I replied, “Oh . . . I forgot all about Him.”
    How easily I was willing to take control of the situation without giving Him the opportunity to speak.
    After prayer, we have realized God is asking us to be still; and though it is not ideal we will have faith and trust Him; for He knows what is best for our family.

Thank you, Judy! Love your thoughts, as usual.
    Blessings,
    ~ Cara

Wow. Sounds like quite a puppy! God’s answer to your question is so interesting to me. I’ve often received that same word when I want to DO something or, more likely, when I want God to DO something. Fix it. Make it go away. Move an obstacle. And he says, “Be still.” I’m not very good at that either:). Maybe that’s why we forget to consult him. we’d rather act instead of wait. Thank you for adding that thought, Cara. It’s a helpful reminder for me today. And may The Lord give you patience with puppies and waiting!

13. Bronwyn Lea says:

Great thoughts, Judy. I do need to remember to not make decisions based on fear, but in faith.